So, as promised, here is a recap of Sarah at age one:
The trash can was on our counter for about nine months because she would not leave it alone. That was just...the worst.
She played in the toilet from about nine months old to 15 months old, when she then transferred her affections from playing in the toilet to standing on it so she could plug and flood the sink.
She used to hide under the kitchen sink all the time.
At 14 months old, while playing a board-game with Sylvia, Sarah was just puttering around the room. When I would tell Sylvia to spin, Sarah would stop what she was doing and spin in a circle.
She is extremely resourceful. If I push in the chairs so she can't climb on the table, she will just turn whatever she can into a stool-- boxes, bins, baskets, Sylvia's back, etc...
She likes to hold the home button on my phone and babble. Siri gets really confused.
She is the most talkative when trying to explain how she got hurt--lots of tearful and animated babbling.
One day when she was 18 months old, I overheard her say, "Uh-oh! Oh shoot..." I wonder what happened.
We have two lamps on either side of the window. If I only turn on one she panics and points at the other one pleading with me to turn that one on too. When I do, she walks away satisfied.
*shoulder shrug*
At 19 months old she could ride the scooter down our hill all by herself. It gets going pretty fast and freaks us out, but she loves it.
When we drop Scarlett off at school in the morning, she yells, "Meese you, Ca-yets (Scarlett)!"
She was my first to climb out of her crib. We did everything to make it harder. We dropped the mattress to the floor, we turned the crib around so the taller back was now the front. Nothing worked. It took about two months of consistently putting her back in every time she would come out. This was sometimes 20 times per night. It was ridiculous. This phase was of course when Jordan was working nights so I got to deal with it all by myself. So glad she finally gave up and is back to her good-sleeping self.
I thought she was over her trash can phase but lately she has been digging eggshells out of the trash and crushing them in her hands.
For a little while she started taking her diaper off after pooping and not telling me until I found a poopy diaper in an obscure place and then had to search the house for anywhere she had been. That was actually the worst.
When we thought she had finished her crib-climbing phase, and we felt confident they were all sound asleep, Jordan and I went outside and had a little fire-pit date. We were outside for about an hour and when we came in, Sarah was sitting in the dark, in the bathroom sink, with the water on.
One day she just walked up to me, pointed to my striped shirt and said "Zebra?"
She always lets the kitty in and out of the house. It's so cute watching a little one-year-old body open and close that giant sliding glass door for a kitty.
For a long time, she wouldn't let me sing anything else before bed except "Let it Go." And it had to be the entire song. She knew if I missed a verse.
Now it's three songs from Trolls and she has started singing along.
One day she brought me a Book of Mormon and pointed to it and said "Jesus."
Yep.
Whenever I ask her a why question i.e. "Why did you do that?" Or "Why is this over here?" or "Why are you naked?" She looks demurely over her shoulder and answers "'Cuuuuuzz..."
She is always leaving the house. I try to keep the doors locked, but if there is an unlocked door, she is GONE. One day I went outside to look for her and she was riding on her scooter, naked, and eating a popsicle.
Strawberry = Strawbobby
I'm stuck = I suck
Fluffy = Ruffy
Oatmeal = opial
If she has been off playing by herself, she will come find me, yell "I meesed you!" and then go back to what she was doing.
She begs for high-fives all the time.
Recently she was sitting at the kitchen table whining, "When will we be heeeeere?" I think she hears Sylvia say that in the car all the time and I wonder if she thinks it means "I'm bored" or "I'm hungry."
This week I was trying to teach her how old she is. Whenever I asked, “How old are you?” She would say, “I’m good.”
The day before her birthday, Scarlett and Sylvia kept reminding her that her birthday was coming and explained the cake and presents and sang the birthday song to her. After I put her to bed, I walked by her room and I heard her quietly singing “Happy Birthday” to herself.
I can't wait till she starts speaking more. I have a feeling age two is going to be a hilarious and exhausting year.
Happy
Birthday, Lamma-Jamma.
*The first two pictures by Cody Paige Photography













Oh my gosh - this is the best. I don't know Sarah, but I really like her!
ReplyDeleteOh Lacey. I want to live by you again so badly
Delete